Social Security Benefits

Social Security should be notified as soon as possible when a person dies. In most cases, Fisk Funeral Home will report the person’s death to Social Security by filing Form SSA-721. You will need to furnish the funeral director with the deceased’s Social Security number so he or she can make the report.


Some of the deceased’s family members may be able to receive Social Security benefits if the deceased person worked long enough under Social Security to qualify for benefits. You should get in touch with Social Security as soon as you can to make sure the family receives all of the benefits to which it may be entitled. Please read the following information carefully to learn what benefits may be available.

Lump-Sum Death Payment

A one-time payment of $255 can be paid to the surviving spouse if he or she was living with the deceased; or, if living apart, was receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased’s record. If there is no surviving spouse, the payment is made to a child who is eligible for benefits on the deceased’s record in the month of death.

Who may receive monthly benefits?

Certain family members may be eligible to receive monthly benefits, including:

A widow or widower age 60 or older (age 50 or older if disabled).

A surviving spouse at any age who is caring for the deceased’s child under age 16 or disabled.

An unmarried child of the deceased who is:

Younger than age 18 (or age 18 or 19 if he or she is a full-time student in an elementary or secondary school); or

Age 18 or older with a disability that began before age 22.

Parents, age 62 or older, who were dependent on the deceased for at least half of their support.

For more information or if you have questions about any of our services, feel free to call us at (407) 892-2155 or email us under the "Contact Us" section – thank you.